Sunday 6 February 2011

Round 1

What a surprise, the events of the first weekend have made me look like an idiot. Luckily I don't have much in the way of conviction and have no problem reneging on every single thing I've said so far. I'd make a great politician, or deadbeat dad.


I never promised Disneyland! I said picnic!

The Friday night game turned out much the way I had feared. This was a huge game for both teams in terms of the confidence and momentum that would be garnered from a win, and a focused and confident England handily beat a rudderless and haphazard Wales.

England have passed the first test with room for improvement, but in a good position nonetheless. Wales, on the other hand, must now do their best to avoid embarrassment and must carry out some personnel changes; Peel in for Phillips, Yapp in for Mitchell, and Ryan Jones in for Powell. 

 Taxi Buggy for Powell!


Saturday first saw Ireland take on Italy in Rome. I didn't watch the whole game because, well, the rugby was pretty poor and I had better things to do. But from reading the reports, Italy appear to have kicked on while Ireland have, er, kicked back? It wasn't quite enough for them to earn their first win over the Irish, but they've shown; a trip to Rome will not be a lovely sightseeing trip and a 2 point formality for any of the teams this year. 

Following this was a much better game, and the pick of the weekend, France versus Scotland. Scotland, who I derided in my preview, have apparently learned where the try line is and its importance in the game of rugby football, managing to cross it not once, not twice, but thrice. Accompanying some barreling breaks from the forwards, most notable of which was professional giant Richie Grey doing his best to recreate scenes from Gulliver's Travels, the Scottish backs played with some real verve and pace. 

Just for clarity; Gulliver's travels is about a philandering ex-baseball 
player who owns a bar populated by an eclectic bunch of regulars in Boston

Unfortunately that was not enough against a French team who had decided they fancied playing rugby last night. For periods anyway. I got the impression they turned off at times, and had they wanted to, no disrespect to the Scots, France could have racked up another 20 points. After a frustrating Friday night and turgid Saturday afternoon, the Saturday evening game in Paris was a pleasure to watch.

On the evidence of this weekend France have cast their marker out farthest, if they can consistently play like that, then they will win the tournament. England are still a good tip for a top two finish, but if Scotland can build on Saturday's performance they might conspire to snatch second. If not they'll probably put up a good fight with Ireland for 3rd spot. Languishing down at the bottom, I'm afraid it'll be Wales and Italy scrapping it out.

Next weekend we've got England in Italy and Wales in Scotland on the Saturday, before France drop in on Ireland on the Sunday. Again, I expect everything I've said to be turned on it's head. Good! Maybe Wales will surprise me!

No comments:

Post a Comment